The above map of the Battle of Newport Barracks was drawn by Josiah O. Livingston of the 9th Vermont. Livingston was one of three members of the 9th Vermont to later win the Medal of Honor for their actions during the February 2, 1864 battle.

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Updates and Upcoming Speaking Engagements


  • I will be posting my thoughts and pictures from the February 2, 2011 ceremony commemorating the 147th anniversary of the Battle of Newport Barracks very soon. I was very pleased with the turnout and I hope this can develop into an annual event as we move towards the 150th anniversary of the battle in 2014, as well as the 150th anniversary of the charting of Newport in 2016.
  • I have two upcoming speaking engagements in Carteret County in April. On Tuesday, April 12 I will be speaking on the 26th North Carolina Infantry at Gettysburg to the local Sons of Confederate Veterans camp starting at 6:30pm. Later that month on Tuesday, April 26, I will be speaking on the Battle of Newport Barracks to the Fort Macon Civil War Round Table at 7pm. Both events are held at Carteret Community College in the Student Union Building. The location does have some Civil War connections as it was the location of Carolina City during the war, and on the site was Camp Vance which was one of the locations where the 26th North Carolina camped for a portion of their time in Carteret County during 1861-62.
  • Work is progressing well on my next book entitled The 26th North Carolina Infantry, 1861-1865. So far I have 465 letters and diary entries from the men of the regiment during the war. I still have a few more sites to visit in the course of the research, but the writing has begun. I am shooting for a June 2013 release date to coincide with the 150th anniversary of the start of the Gettysburg Campaign.
  • Sales continue to be steady on Fight As Long As Possible: The Battle of Newport Barracks, North Carolina, February 2, 1864. I want to say thank you to everyone who has bought a copy and the retailers who carry it. If you have not yet bought a copy you can purchase one through Amazon.com (the link to the book is on the main page of the blog) or you can email me and I can sent you a personalized autographed copy.
  • Once again if you are interested in me speaking to your group, feel free to contact me via email.

No comments:

Post a Comment