The above map of the Battle of Newport Barracks was drawn by Josiah O. Livingston of the 9th Vermont. Livingston was one of three members of the 9th Vermont to later win the Medal of Honor for their actions during the February 2, 1864 battle.

Friday, March 13, 2009

Update on the book and other things

  • At the moment I am finished with the first two chapters of the book, or finished to the extent I am ready for them to be edited. This puts me right on track with my time table to have the manuscript finished.
  • Yesterday I had the chance to go out again to the fortifications at Canady's Mill near Newport. I did some field research in that area about a month ago and found it to be very overgrown with brush. I was only able to discern a few parts of the fort and rifle pits. This week I received an email from David Burnette who let me know that a controlled burn had taken away most of the brush around the fort. He also accompanied me to the site and we were both surprised at what the fire had uncovered. The fortifications were much more expansive and intricate than we, and possibly anyone before, had thought. I hope to post fairly soon what we found along with pictures. Thanks again to David Burnette for letting me know about the controlled burn and accompanying me out to the site yesterday.
  • Even though I am well into writing I thought I would just mention that it is never to late for me to incorporate new sources into the book. If anyone has any sources on the 17th or 42nd North Carolina they would be especially helpful. My hope is to find more primary source material on them so if anyone has any information it would be a great help. The same goes for any of the units involved at Newport Barracks.
  • Lastly, I have also started some preliminary research for my next book that will be on the 43rd North Carolina at Gettysburg. As with the Newport Barracks project, if anyone has any information or source material on the 43rd I would love to see it.


No comments:

Post a Comment